When I think about sustainability & natural living I think about making things for myself and my family that allow me to save money, resources and be more natural. Most importantly, I think about doing all of these and losing the hefty price tag and capitalization that comes with the “green movement” and “natural living” culture.
That’s right I said it.
Sustainability and natural living should be simple and for the people.
It should be accessible, doable and most importantly affordable. You don’t see that very much. It is capitalized upon, made expensive, pushed by mostly non-POC and can be seem unreachable.
When I saw a post by an amazing woman that goes by the name of fivelettered regarding expensive natural deodorant not working, I couldn’t help but think about what I do for deodorant. That rolled forward on to thoughts about natural living and being sustainable in the sense of being able to make things you use in a natural manner. Saving money, relying on yourself and learning to use resources.
I’ve decided to make a series called Do This At Home. Watch out for these. As always, feel free to reblog.
Natural Deodorant by Nuestra Hermana
You will need:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 5 TBSP coconut oil
- A container that seals tightly to hold your deodorant
(All of these ingredients can be found at the grocery store. None of these have to be fancy or organic.)
1. Take a clean bowl and fork and mix cornstarch or arrowroot powder with your baking soda well.
2. Take your coconut oil and slowly mash it in. Stir it with some force until you have a paste and it is obviously well blended.
3. Put it in your container.
Use a good amount of this under your armpits. It works well but you will see the best results after about 1 month and 1/2. Your body pretty much gets accustomed to it. It’s extremely inexpensive to make and smells fabulous.
hopefully i will actually do this one day because i love the smell of coconuts.
1 year ago
- wholegrainlofat likes this
- chasteblowjay likes this
- mishtun likes this
- wholegrainlofat reblogged this from nuestrahermana and added:
- golddays reblogged this from nuestrahermana
- golddays likes this
- pluseyes likes this
- toofatfortv reblogged this from faysbook
- hilbar likes this
- firstthingtomorrow likes this
- anoddthomas reblogged this from faysbook
- anoddthomas likes this
- poopballs likes this
- faysbook reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- ardhra likes this
- reinosview reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- reinosview likes this
- salomesalami likes this
- grrlcookery likes this
- stillnotready likes this
- liminalspacestation likes this
- januarypane likes this
- dumb-at-heart likes this
- seancing likes this
- goldilockks likes this
- aliveandselving likes this
- sugartosmoke likes this
- truthsstrippedofpoetsgloss reblogged this from semisweet-rubix
- shoshmazik likes this
- nakedpancakeshindig likes this
- brokefolkrecipes reblogged this from theheadlessinitiative
- gamsmcgee likes this
- bluewritingongreenwhy likes this
- soulsentwined likes this
- withoutaqualmofconscience likes this
- theheadlessinitiative reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- una-mirada-desde-la-ionosfera reblogged this from nuestrahermana and added:
- una-mirada-desde-la-ionosfera likes this
- semisweet-rubix reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- missdiazepam likes this
- whoswaldo likes this
- wehavedonetheimpossible reblogged this from theuntitledmag
- fullspice likes this
- shrub2006 likes this
- judgeparrot likes this
- wefoundloveinaknopelessplace likes this
- autoluminescent likes this
- motelchronicler likes this
- dirtyanddarling likes this
- hatercakesss likes this